This page includes information about the top trade schools in the Pompano Beach region and the programs they offer.
Their programs prepare students for rewarding careers in high-demand industries, such as the automotive industry, healthcare, and beauty, to name a few.
Most courses are designed to get students ready for employment or licensure in less than one year.
If you want to receive an Associate Degree, two-year programs are also available at some schools.
1McDougle Technical Institute
About the School
McDougle Technical Institute provides training programs that combine theory and hands-on practice to help students become licensed professionals.
Applicants need a high school diploma, GED, or a passing score on the Wonderlic Basic Skills exam.
Tuition varies depending on the program.
The Construction Operation program costs $3,650 in total, which includes tuition, books and supplies, and registration fees.
McDougle Technical Institute is accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences.
The following programs are included in the institute’s catalog:
- Barber Styling- 600-hour Restricted Barbering and 900-hour Master Barbering programs are available in-person and online.
- Construction Operations- a 300-hour program that can be completed in 12 weeks
- Cosmetology- a program that can be completed in 10 months by full-time students and in 15 months by part-time students
- Facial Specialty- 220 hours of training that can be completed in 12 weeks by full-time students and in 18 weeks by part-time students
The following specialty programs are also available: Hair Braiding (16 hours), Hair Wrapping (6 hours), Body Wrapping (12 hours).
- Address: 1955 N. Federal Highway, Unit 207, Pompano Beach, FL, 33062
- Phone: 954-972-0635
- Website: https://mti.edu
2Youth Automotive Training Center
About the School
Youth Automotive Training Center offers hands-on automotive training, academic instruction, and life skills.
Their nine-month program is designed to help students strengthen their skills and prepare them for professional success.
Life skills classes are also taught each week and focus on job interview skills, resume writing, setting goals, and wellness, among other topics.
Students spend time in a state-of-the-art automotive shop each day where they apply hands-on the theoretical aspects learned in class.
Classes are held Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Applications are accepted year-round, with a new class selected each summer for the program that begins in September.
Youth Automotive Training Center’s donors make the program’s tuition, activities, and materials free for students.
The selection process involves four steps:
The first step is completing an application.
Afterward, applicants are scheduled for a pre-screening interview by a student service advisor.
Candidates are then selected to join a panel interview and participate in an initial student selection with the YATC instructor and staff.
The fourth step consists of the final approval for the candidates from the YATC Board of Directors.
- Address: 399 SW Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, Deerfield Beach, FL 33441
- Phone: (954) 428-0909
- Website: https://yatc.org
3Atlantic Technical College
About the School
Atlantic Technical College offers training programs that prepare students for careers in a variety of in-demand industries such as construction, health sciences, manufacturing, information technology, and more.
Costs vary depending on the program and its duration.
The Customer Assistance Technology program can be completed in four months by full-time students and costs $1,403 while the 14-month Drafting program costs $4,675.
Atlantic Technical College is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education.
Some programs are also available in hybrid formats which combine classroom with online education.
For example, the medical assisting program is available both in traditional and hybrid formats.
It can be completed in approximately 12 months and costs $4,399.
The following programs are available at the Atlantic Technical College:
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning/Refrigeration
- Accounting Operations
- Court Reporting
- Central Sterile Processing Technician
- Electrocardiograph Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Mental Health Technician
- Orthopedic Technology
- Medical Coder/Biller
- Patient Care Assistant
- Applied Information Technology
- Machine Technologies
- Welding Technology
- And more
- Address: 4700 Coconut Creek Parkway, Coconut Creek, FL 33063
- Phone: 754-321-5100
- Website: https://www.atlantictechnicalcollege.edu
About the School
Cortiva Institute offers a variety of training programs in the field of massage therapy and the beauty industry.
Tuition costs vary depending on the program.
The Professional Massage Therapy Program costs $13,460 while the Skin Care Training program costs $6,048.
The Makeup Artistry program costs $11,117 while the Advanced Paramedical Skin Care program costs $18,157.
The Esthetician Program includes training in facials, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, extractions, makeup application, lash application, waxing, tinting, and many other skills.
The Massage Therapist program covers Swedish massage, Deep Tissue, Sports Massage, Hydrotherapy, Stretching, and more.
The Paramedical Esthetician program prepares students who can perform advanced treatment options for individuals with troubled skin.
Cortiva Institute is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges.
The following programs are available at the school:
- Esthetician (Skin Care)- a three-month program that includes 300 hours of training
- Makeup Artist- a 600-hour program that can be completed in six months
- Massage Therapist- a six-month program that includes 600 hours of training
- Paramedical Esthetician- a program that includes 976 hours of training and can be completed in nine months
- Address: 2001 West Sample Road Suite 100, Pompano Beach, FL 33064
- Phone: 954-975-6400
- Website: https://www.cortiva.edu
About the School
Pet’s Playground helps students become professional dog groomers in as little as four months.
Full-time and part-time classes are available.
Students learn from Nationally Certified Master Groomers on a campus equipped with state-of-the-art facilities.
The Pet Groomer program costs $5,800.
The 600-hour Pet Stylist program costs $9,400.
The programs cover skills such as bathing/brushing techniques, sporting breeds, non-sporting breeds, terrier breeds, mixed breeds, and miscellaneous breeds.
Students may use their tool kit instead of buying the tools from the school, but the kit must be approved by the instructor.
Pet’s Playground is a nationally accredited school and one of the only two pet grooming schools in the U.S. that offer Title IV financial aid.
The following programs are available at Pet’s Playground:
- Pet Groomer Program- a 300-hour program that teaches students all the essential skills needed for becoming a dog groomer.
- Pet Stylist Program- this program includes all the classes offered by the 300-hour program plus the skills needed to work in salons, vet offices, and mobile grooming businesses.
- Continuing Education- six-hour classes that help professional groomers perfect their skills.
- Address: 1294 N Federal Hwy, Pompano Beach, FL 33062
- Phone: 954-782-4994
- Website: https://petsplayground.edu
6Polished Concrete University
About the School
Polished Concrete University offers polished concrete and epoxy resin certification classes.
Five-day certification courses that provide students with hands-on training led by professionals are available.
Graduates receive lifetime phone support.
Students learn how to master Concrete Polishing using professional equipment, as well as surface repair, marketing strategies, how to establish an online presence, bidding, and other skills.
Polished Concrete University offers two certification programs:
- Concrete Polishing Certification- a five-day program that costs $1,500 and covers the following skills:
- Repair- holes, cracks, expansion joints, and structural repairs
- Choosing the right tools and equipment
- Hands-on training with professional equipment
- Marketing for jobs
- Bidding for jobs
- And many other skills
- Epoxy Resin Certification- a five-day program that costs $1,500 and teaches students the following skills:
- Moisture Testing
- Cove Bases
- Surface Preparation
- Mixing, Ratios, Pouring
- Countertops, Floors, Decals
- Types of Coating
- Hands-on training using professional equipment
- Students also learn marketing skills and how to bid for jobs
- And more
- Address: 2200 NW 32nd Street, Pompano Beach, FL, Suite 1100
- Phone: 954-751-4265
- Website: https://www.polishedconcreteuniversity.com
About the School
Instituto Embelleze is a beauty school that prepares students for new careers in the beauty industry.
To qualify for admission, applicants need:
- A high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- A CV/resume
- Personal statement that describes the applicant’s professional accomplishments and goals
- A copy of a valid ID
Students need to complete an enrollment agreement and pay a $150 nonrefundable application fee.
Private financial assistance is available for students who qualify.
After graduating from the program students must pass the exam held by the Florida Board of Cosmetology or the State of Florida Barber Board to get their license.
The following programs are available:
- Cosmetology- a program that can be completed in 12 months by full-time students and in 15 months by part-time students.
- Barber Stylist- a program that includes 360 theory hours and 840 lab hours
- Nail Technician- a program designed to be completed in 3.5 months and covers 219 hours of theory and 46 hours of lab work
- Facial Specialist- a three-month program that includes 104 theory hours and 136 lab hours
The Cosmetology and Barber curriculums include 360 hours of theory and 840 hours of lab work.
- Address: 2239 SW 2nd street Pompano, Florida 33069 USA
- Phone: 954-247-9531
- Website: https://www.embellezebeautyschool.us
8Florida Career College
About the School
Florida Career College offers a variety of career-training programs at its Margate Campus.
The classes are kept small to ensure that each student receives the one-on-one help they need.
Graduates are ready for entry-level positions in their field of expertise.
The programs can be completed in 10 months and are available in a hybrid format with blended online and on-campus coursework.
Financial Aid is available for students who qualify.
The Margate Campus was opened in 2011 and has 16 classrooms and laboratories for business, allied health, HVAC, and Information Technology classes.
Florida Career College is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education.
The first step in the admissions process consists of filling out an online form or calling the school to meet with an advisor.
The school has a career services team available to help students succeed in their new careers.
The following programs are available at Florida Career College in Margate:
- Business Office Administration
- Dental Assistant
- Health Services Administration
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
- Medical Assistant Technician
- Medical Front Office and Billing
- Patient Care Technician
- Address: 3271 N. State Road 7 Margate, FL 33063
- Phone: (954) 692-6299
- Website: https://www.floridacareercollege.edu/trade-school/florida/margate
About the College
HCI College offers a variety of healthcare training programs at its Fort Lauderdale Campus.
Tuition for the Paramedic program is $220 per credit hour.
The tuition rate for the Emergency Medical Technician program is $391.67 per credit hour.
The Associate Degree in Nursing program costs $750 per credit hour.
HCI College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges.
Admission requirements vary depending on the program.
Applicants to the Emergency Medical Technician program must:
- Pass a criminal background check
- Pass and have a current 10-panel drug screen
- Be at least 18 years of age before the first day of class
- Pass the Wonderlic Scholastic Level Exam with a minimum score of 17
- Have a current physical exam signed by a physician
- Provide a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
The following programs are available in Fort Lauderdale:
- Associate Degree in Nursing- a 72-credit program that may be completed in only two years.
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Medical Assisting- a 36-credit hybrid program that can be completed in as little as 10 months
- Veterinary Assisting- a 10-month diploma program that includes online and on-campus portions
- Address: 1201 W Cypress Creek Rd. Suite 101. Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309
- Phone: 954-626-0255
- Website: https://www.hci.edu/location/fort-lauderdale
10South Florida Academy of AC
About the School
South Florida Academy of AC was founded in 2010 and provides training programs for new HVAC techs ever since.
Upon graduation, graduates’ resumes are completed and mailed to AC companies in the students’ area of residence.
The school also hosts a job fair at the end of every quarter where graduates can find employment.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers is projected to grow 5 percent from 2020 to 2030 with approximately 38,500 new job openings projected for each year over the decade.
Employment growth in this line of work is dependent upon commercial and residential building construction, and it may fluctuate depending on the region and the economy.
The average annual wage reported by HVAC technicians in Florida was $46,850, with wages ranging from less than $30,000 to more than $60,000 depending on education, experience, and a variety of other factors.
The following courses are available in 2022:
- A 60-hour Maintenance Technician class held on Saturdays and Sundays for three weeks
- A 185-hour HVAC Residential and Light Commercial class held Monday through Friday for four weeks
- Address: 3343 W Commercial Blvd, Ft Lauderdale FL 33309
- Phone: 561-702-1943
- Website: https://www.sfaac.com/
Now that you have read our list, it’s time to decide what career path you want to pursue and choose the training program that best meets your needs and aspirations.
This is an important step, so take your time and choose wisely.
And don’t forget to gather information about all the factors that can influence your decision.