This article compiles information about the best trade schools in Alaska.
Trade schools are an option for many people who want to build a successful and rewarding career and can’t afford to spend 4 years in school.
Alaska trade schools offer a variety of options to individuals who want to learn a trade through hands-on experience:
- Flight Schools
- Beauty Schools
- Real-estate classes
- and more
This article will help you gather general information about each school (costs, duration, enrollment requirements, etc.)
We hope the information included on the page will help you decide what school is best for you.
Earn your accredited, affordable career diploma online with Penn Foster.
Trade Schools by City
1MetrOasis Beauty School & Advanced Training Centre
The MetrOasis Advanced Training Center & Beauty / Esthetician School in Anchorage is dedicated to providing students with an international level of education in cosmetology and esthetics.
The school has included various techniques and philosophies from around the world within its training program to help students forge their own paths in the beauty industry.
Students at MetrOasis Advanced Training Center & Beauty / Esthetician School are surrounded by world-class antiques and international music.
The school typically accepts 1 hairdressing student each month. The hairdressing students finish the program in about 1 year.
The MetrOasis Beauty School & Advanced Training Center typically accepts two to four esthetician students per month. Students complete the program in about 10 weeks.
Enrollment. To be enrolled students must pass the school’s online entrance exam.
Students must be 18 years of age or older and have a high-school diploma or a GED. Prospective students will also interview with the director of the school.
Students are asked to sign an enrollment contract 30 days before they start training.
Fees. The total cost of studying Hairdressing at MetrOasis Advanced Training Center & Beauty / Esthetician School is $8,350. This includes a $130 registration fee, tuition and lab equipment. The cost of the Esthetics program is $6,180.
- Hairdressing Program
- Esthetics Program
- The school is located at 3701 E Tudor Rd, #103, Anchorage, AK 99507
- Phone: 907-276-4110
- E-mail: MetrOasisATC@gmail.com
- Website: https://www.metroasis.com
2Angel Aviation Flight School
Angel Aviation Flight School began operations at the Glendale Airport in Glendale, Arizona in 2001.
Since 2016 the Flight School also offers classes at its Anchorage base.
The Anchorage base has four Cessna 172’s, three Piper Seneca II’s and a PA-14 on floats based out of Merrill Field.
The school aims to help students obtain the pilot certificate of their choice.
Students can learn at their own pace. School attendees start as student pilots and finish as Multi-Engine commercial pilots as quickly as they want. The school fleet is available for business 24 hours a day.
The school also offers an ATP Certificate program, including: 30 hrs of groud school, 4 Hours Fixed-Base Training Device, 6 Hours Full-Motion Simulator, free Test Prep Software and free ATP knowledge test.
Fees. Rates vary from $125/hr to $320/hr, depending on the aircraft. The flight instructor rate is $60/hr.
The fee for the ATP Certificate program is $4,200.
- The flight school is located at 2015 Merrill Field Drive, Anchorage, AK 99501.
- Phone: (907) 312-8298
- Email: FlyAK@AngelAviation.com
- Website: http://ak.angelaviation.com
3Alaska Academy of Real Estate
Jack White’s Alaska Academy of Real Estate has a tradition of premier education.
The educators are experienced professionals, willing to share their time, experience and talents with students.
School educators are State of Alaska Certified Real Estate Instructors.
The classes are approved by the Alaska Real Estate Commission.
The school also offers classes via correspondence.
Alaska Academy of Real Estate offers pre-licensing, post-licensing, and continuing education classes.
Those who want to become licensed real-estate persons in Alaska must:
- Be at least 19 years of age.
- Not be under indictment for a felony or other crime that affects his/her ability to practice as a real estate salesperson competently and safely or under indictment for forgery, theft, extortion, conspiracy to defraud creditors, or fraud.
- Complete 40 hours of a pre-licensing course approved by the Alaska Real Estate Commission.
- Pass the Alaska real estate salesperson exam.
- Submit a Salesperson License by Examination application for licensure under a broker with the appropriate licensing fees
Fees. Tuition at Alaska Academy of Real Estate is $449 for a full 40-hour pre-licensing course.
- Pree-licensing class
- Post-licensing class
- Continuing education
- The school is located at 2016 Alaska Academy of Real Estate, Jack White Real Estate, 3801 Centerpoint Drive, Suite 200, Anchorage, AK 99503
- Phone: 907-244-9696
- Website: http://www.alaskaacademyofrealestate.com
4Kenai Peninsula Driving Instruction
The Kenai Peninsula Driving Instruction is a Licensed, Bonded & Insured CDL School. It is Kenai’s only fully ACPE Authorized Commercial Driver Training Facility.
The school is a one-stop-shop for both CDL training and testing.
The facility’s lead instructor is a former law enforcement officer and commercial driving instructor.
The school offers complementary pick-up and drop-off at the Kenai Airport and local hotels. They also offer housing to their students.
Enrollment: Some of the requirements for the CDL course are:
Students must be at least 18 years of age with a valid Alaska Driver License. They must have had a Class D license for a minimum of one year before the date of application.
Students must have or obtain an Instructional Card (IA) permit before the course starts.
Candidates must hold a CDL medical examiner’s certificate and they must pass a drug screen test. Students must have an acceptable clean driving record and must not have been convicted of a felony involving the use of a motor vehicle.
Fees: The cost of the 154-hour Commercial Truck Driving Class for newcomers is $6,000. The school also offers classes for more experienced drivers, starting at $600 to $4,500, depending on the class and the number of hours.
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
- Class D Driving Instruction Course
- The school is located at 14896 Kenai Spur Hwy, Suite 106A, Kenai, AK 99611.
- Phone: (907) 690-DRVE
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://kpdrivinginstruction.com
5Academy of Hair Design
The Academy of Hair Design teaches students the art of hairstyling, cutting, perms, coloring, hair treatments and more.
They also offer barber and esthetics classes.
The school is owned by a local Alaskan family. Classes combine technical and hands-on learning.
As of February 2018, the school is a Paul Mitchell focused school.
Fees. Tuition costs vary from $425 to $8,000, depending on the program.
The school also accepts student financing from a variety of sources, including Alaska Advantage, Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, Workforce Development, Veterans Administration, Nine Star, Native Corporation Loans, In-house Financing Available.
- Hair Stylist
- Lash Extensions
- Brush Up
- The school is located at 113 W Northern Lights Blvd Suite M,
Anchorage, AK 99503.
- Phone: (907) 274-3663
- Website: https://www.ahdalaska.com/
6ProFlite of Alaska
ProFlite of Alaska is a flight training school serving Interior Alaska with 8 aircraft and a staff of professional flight instructors and maintenance technicians.
The school uses the Jeppesen courses for the ground school and syllabus structure of training.
ProFlite of Alaska is FAA/VA approved for CFR Part 65 Aircraft Dispatcher Training. A practical test and FAA license will be issued at the end of the training period. The school also provides job placement assistance.
Fees. ProFlite of Alaska offers introductory flight lessons at only $139. Flight instructor hourly rates vary between $70 and $85.
Tuition for the 210-hour aircraft dispatcher course is $5,500.
- Super cub float training
- Flight instructor
- Aircraft dispatcher
- The school is located at 3900 University Ave South, Fairbanks AK 99709.
- Phone: 907-474-0099
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.proflitealaska.com
7Alaska Floats and Skis
Alaska Floats & Skis is a flight school located in the aviation community of Talkeetna.
The school teaches off-airport techniques, winter ski flying and how to maneuver a floatplane.
Alaska Floats & Skis was featured on Alaska Wing Men on the National Geographic Channel.
The Bush Pilot course teaches students off-airport techniques and includes 3 nights lodging, up to 5 hours of flight time, A/C & Instructor, up to 6 hours of ground school.
The Float Rating Course training sessions take place on the many remote and beautiful lakes that surround the base at Christiansen Lake. Training involves 2 days flying and up to 6 hours of ground school.
Winter Ski Flying teaches students how to maneuver a ski plane in the Alaskan winter. The course includes 3 nights lodging, up to 5 hours of flight time, A/C & Instructor, up to 6 hours of ground school.
Fees. Tuition fees vary between 2,200 and $2,400, depending on the course. Hourly rates start from $180/hr for a TriPacer and go up to $320/hr for Bush course.
- Bush Pilot Course
- Float Rating Course
- Winter Ski Flying Course
- The school is located at Alaska Floats & Skis, P.O. Box 139, Talkeetna, AK 99676
- Phone: 907.733.4500
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.alaskafloats.com
8Northern Industrial Training
Northern Industrial Training’s philosophy is based on their 5 Anchors of Success: integrity, professionalism, respect, consistency and a will to succeed.
The school recognizes that a highly trained, critical thinking workforce is in demand and paramount to the economy and future.
Northern Industrial Training, LLC offers a variety of support services for businesses interested in streamlining their training process.
The school teaches training programs and safety courses.
Enrollment: Each course has specific requirements.
To be eligible for most classes candidates must be 18 years of age or older. A valid Alaska Alaska Driver’s License or State Issued ID is also required.
Prospective students must have a Social Security Card.
A Pre-Participation Physical exam and a DOT Equivalent Drug Test are required within 10 days prior to the class.
Fees. Tuition fees vary between $6000 and $18,250, depending on the training program.
Fees for safety courses are between $125 and $500.
- Construction Equipment
- Health, Safety, and Environmental Technician
- Mechanics Programs
- Professional Truck Driving
- Project Management
- Welding Programs
- Client Specific Courses
- Safety Courses
- The Anchorage school is located at 3700 Centerpoint Dr. Ste. 102
Anchorage, AK 99503
- Phone: 907.743.7700
- The Palmer school is located at 1740 N. Terrilou Ct. Palmer, AK 99645
- Phone: 907.357.6400
- Website: https://www.nitalaska.com
9Alaska Real Estate Training
Alaska Real Estate Training is Alaska’s premier provider of pre-licensing and continuing education classes for real estate professionals.
The school instructor is Becky Brewer, a practicing Associate Broker with many years of experience in the industry.
She has a great track record of assisting her students in passing their real estate exam and Becky also helps new licensees excel in their real estate career.
In order to get your real estate license in Alaska you have to:
- Complete 40 hours of an Alaska approved pre-licensing real estate course.
- Pass the Alaska real estate salesperson exam, and submit a Salesperson license by exam application for licensure under a broker with the appropriate licensing fees.
Fees. The tuition fee for the pre-licensing classes is $395.
- Pre-licensing classes
- Continuing education classes
- The school is located at 3350 Midtown Pl, Anchorage, AK 99503, USA
- Website: http://www.alaskarealestatetraining.com
The professional and highly experienced pilots and flight instructors at SkyTrek Alaska teach students how to fly safely and confidently.
Trainees also learn the specialized skills needed for flying in Alaska’s harsh arctic weather and over challenging mountain terrains.
At SkyTrek Alaska instructors adapt to each student’s pace, giving you the confidence and skills necessary to earn the FAA Private Pilot Certificate.
General Federal Aviation Administration Requirements include:
- Must be 17 years of age
- Must be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language
- Must be able to pass a 3rd Class FAA Medical Examination
- Must receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who provided your ground training
- Pass the written FAA Private Pilot Knowledge Test 70% or better
- Must receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who provided your training stating that you are prepared for the Practical Test (flight test
- Must pass the Private Pilot Practical Test
Fees: Hourly fees are between $139 and $189, depending on the aircraft.
Flight/Ground instruction is also available for $85/hr.
- Learn to Fly
- Skills Refresh
- Passenger Confidence
- Cert Update, Mountain Flying and more
- The school is located at 1570 East 12th Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99501
- Phone: 907.274.4359
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.skytrekalaska.com
Many trade schools are available to Alaska residents who want to build a new carreer.
All you have to do is decide what is your dream job and start searching for the institution that is best suited to your educational needs.
Whether you want to start a career in the beauty industry or to become a professional pilot, make sure the school you choose is trustworthy and the classes are accredited by the government institutes.