With an estimated job growth of 14 percent over the next decade, paralegals will continue to be hired in law offices to perform a variety of tasks that were previously assigned to entry-level lawyers.
Although job descriptions vary, paralegals are usually responsible for:
- Drafting legal documents
- Investigating facts relevant to a case
- Organizing and maintaining documents on paper and in electronic formats
- Helping lawyers during trials
- File exhibits, briefs, and other documents
- And more
Before being ready to apply for entry-level employment in the paralegal field, the first step is to complete a post-secondary training program at a trade school or community college.
Oregon students have access to a variety of programs that are accredited by the American Bar Association.
Programs are available on-campus and online.
1Portland Community College
About the School
Portland Community College offers hundreds of program options students can choose from.
Educational programs are available in the following fields of study:
- Arts, Humanities, Communication, and Design
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Construction, Manufacturing, and Transportation
- Public Service, Education, and Social Sciences
- And more
The following degrees and certificates are available at the school:
- Associate Degree: Paralegal- a two-year program
- Certificate: Paralegal- a one-year program
- Career Pathway Certificate: Legal Assistant- a program that takes less than one year to complete
- Address: 6713 SW Bonita Rd. Bldg. C Suite 200, Portland, OR 97224
- Phone: 971-722-8888
- Website: https://www.pcc.edu
2Umpqua Community College
Umpqua Community College provides degrees, certificates, or short-term programs that can be completed in as few as six weeks or six months.
The College provides an online paralegal degree.
This program covers legal concepts and helps students gain the communication skills necessary for successful employment in the legal community as a paralegal or legal assistant.
Classes are taught by attorneys and highly experienced paralegals.
Students gain up to 400 hours of on-the-job experience.
The following degrees and certificates are available:
- Paralegal Studies- Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Legal Assistant- One-Year Certificate
The Legal Assistant Certificate includes classes such as:
- Business Mathematics
- Legal Procedures
- Records Management
- Business Communications
- Intro to Paralegal Studies
- Legal Procedures
- Civil Procedure
- Ethics for the Legal Profession
- And more
- Address: 1140 Umpqua College Rd. Roseburg, OR 97470
- Phone: 541-440-4600
- Website: https://umpqua.edu
3University of Oregon
The University of Oregon offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs.
The following law programs are available at the university:
- Juris Doctor
- Master of Laws
- Conflict and Dispute Resolution
- Concurrent Degrees
- Undergraduate Programs
A minor in Legal Studies requires at least 24 total credits.
Students have to pass the classes with a C or better.
Students who choose this minor may be ready for careers as Legal Assistants, Paralegals, Law Enforcement, Court representatives, Law Firm administrators, Legislative Assistants, and more.
The University of Oregon School of Law is fully accredited by the American Bar Association.
- Address: 1585 E 13th Ave. Eugene, OR 97403
- Phone: 541-346-1000
- Website: https://www.uoregon.edu
About the School
Willamette University offers a wide range of professional graduate programs.
The university provides small class sizes, fostering in-depth conversations, nurturing environment, and more.
More than 75 academic programs are available at the university.
The College of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association.
Among many other programs, the university provides a Clinical Law Program that provides students with hands-on, professional experience in actual law practice.
The Clinical Law Program includes two offerings: Trusts and Estates and Immigration.
- Address: 900 State Street, Salem OR 97301
- Phone: 503 370 6300
- Website: https://willamette.edu
5CLS by Barbri
About the School
Paralegal training programs that can be completed at your own pace, from the comfort of your home are also available online.
Formerly known as The Center for Legal Studies, CLS by BARBRI provides continuing legal education.
The curriculum is delivered to students in online, live lecture, and text-only formats.
The following paralegal-related courses are available at the school:
- Paralegal Certificate Course
- Advanced Paralegal Certificate Course
- Advanced Legal Research and Writing
- Personal Injury for Paralegals
- eDiscovery for Paralegals
Costs vary depending on the course.
The Paralegal Certificate Course costs $1,895.
This is a flagship introductory course and functions as a first step toward a paralegal career.
The most popular format can be completed in two seven-week instructor-led sessions.
The school’s interactive platform offers 24/7 online course access with video and printed tutorials available.
- Address: 12222 Merit Drive, Suite 1340, Dallas, TX 75251
- Phone: 800-522-7737
- Website: https://www.legalstudies.com
6San Francisco State University
About the School
San Francisco State University provides a Paralegal Studies online certificate program.
The paralegal program is available at the university since 1975.
The program is approved by the American Bar Association and covers a rigorous curriculum, synchronous online courses, a professional network, and other features designed to prepare students for successful careers as paralegals.
Students enrolled in this program are prepared for a new career in just one year.
The Paralegal Studies program provides learners with hands-on training and experience with case management, e-discovery, and trial software, and an insight into common paralegal tasks.
The program costs $8,990 and can be completed in as little as three semesters.
Students take five three-unit courses designed to help them develop skills on:
- Interviewing clients
- Performing legal research
- Gathering and analyzing legal documents
- Drafting internal memoranda, correspondence, and legal forms
- Drafting a variety of litigation-related documents
- Assisting lawyers in the preparation of cases for trial
- And performing many other related tasks in a law office
- Address: 160 Spear Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California 94105
- Phone: (415) 405-7700
- Website: https://cpage.sfsu.edu
UC Davis provides a variety of continuing and professional education programs.
Many award-winning online programs are available and designed to provide students with a flexible, engaging, learning experience.
A Paralegal Studies Certificate program is included in the school’s catalog and can be completed in six months.
The program is available online.
This program costs $6,995.
Among other skills, students enrolled in this program learn how to:
- Conduct legal research and prepare documentation for trials
- Manage clients
- Litigation procedures and basic appellate processes
- Laws pertaining to personal injury
- The ability to analyze and draft contracts
- And more
Paralegal curriculum topics include:
- Paralegal Studies Essentials
- Contract Law for Paralegals
- Tort Law for Paralegals
- California Procedures for Paralegals
- Address: One Capitol Mall, 1 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Phone: (530) 757-8777
- Website: https://cpe.ucdavis.edu
Campus, formerly known as MTI College, is a community-based institution that offers respected vocational training in the areas of healthcare, law, information technology, business, cosmetology, and barbering.
Campus is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges.
An Online Paralegal Degree Program is also available at the school.
This program is designed to equip students with the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to enter a successful paralegal career.
The program is approved by the American Bar Association.
Graduates are ready for employment as paralegals in both the private and public sectors.
They learn the skills needed when performing substantive and procedural behind-the-scenes legal work for legal departments and law firms.
Those who have previously completed an associate or baccalaureate degree or have completed 54 approved quarter units in general education from an accredited institution begin their Online Paralegal Degree Program in the second year of study.
- Address: 5221 Madison Avenue Sacramento, CA 95841
- Phone: (916) 339-1500
- Website: https://mticollege.edu
Liberty University is an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus.
The university is located in Lynchburg, Virginia but many programs are available in an online format and can be completed by students from the comfort of their homes.
A variety of programs are offered at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels and are taught from a Christian perspective.
The programs are available fully online and students can complete the coursework while keeping a job and remaining active in their community.
Students can transfer up to 75% of the degree total.
Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
The Associate of Arts in Paralegal Studies program available at Liberty University provides students with the experience and practical skills that can be marketed while they pursue a Bachelor’s degree.
The program prepares students with a foundational knowledge of criminal law and procedures, writing depositions, and real estate transactions, and in-demand skills such as performing title searches.
The program includes 60 credit hours and can be completed in one and a half years, on average.
- Address: 1971 University Blvd., Lynchburg, Virginia 24515
- Phone: (888) 376-3157
- Website: https://www.liberty.edu
Another online Paralegal program is available at Rasmussen University.
The university provides more than 50 programs and multiple start dates a year.
Training programs are available for more than 120 years.
Rasmussen University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Classes are available at 22 locations and online.
The following justice studies programs are included in the university’s catalog.
- Criminal Justice
- Law Enforcement
The Paralegal program prepares students for careers as an integral part of the legal system.
The online paralegal program teaches students about the legal system and the importance of legal ethics.
Students learn from practicing judges, attorneys, and paralegals.
The program leads to a Paralegal Associate’s degree in as few as 18 months.
Those who already have an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree can graduate with a Paralegal Certificate online in as few as eight months.
The curriculum includes courses such as:
- Introduction to Law and the Legal System
- Introduction to Legal Research
- Paralegal Capstone
- Legal Ethics
- Law Office Management
- Family Law
- And more
- Address: 385 Douglas Ave Suite #1000, Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
- Phone: 407-635-8200
- Website: https://info.rasmussen.edu
If you want to start a non-lawyer career in the legal field, the paralegal profession can be a great option.
Now that you have read our list of the top paralegal schools in Oregon and the programs included in their catalog, the next step is to continue the research, decide if this career is a right fit for you, and apply for the program that best meets your learning style and career aspirations.